sarah mclachlan - afterglow


.:: During the mid-'90s, Sarah McLachlan was a near-ubiquitous presence in pop music, establishing adult alternative pop radio with 1994's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy and 1997's Surfacing and spearheading the popular Lilith Fair touring festival, but once the last Lilith wound up in 1999, she retreated from the spotlight, had a baby, and seemingly retired from music.

Four years later, she made a typically subdued return with Afterglow, her first album in six years. Not much has changed in the time she was away. Afterglow is firmly within the McLachlan signature sound -- a softly tuneful, mildly atmospheric blend of classic singer/songwriterism and a touch of vaguely dreamy alternative pop, all shined and immaculately produced by Pierre Marchand.

Some may call that predictable, some may call it reliable, but there's little arguing that Afterglow is a solid effort -- it won't win new fans, but it will certainly satisfy the old ones. -- Stephen Thomas Erlewine


download: sarah mclachlan - afterglow

pass: indie-ground.blogspot.com

2 comments:

josephhyde@gmail.com said...

Not quite, my friend. Before you is a man introduced to Sarah via Afterglow. I must have been in a cave, or perhaps raising my daughter, who was born two months prior to Fumbling's release.
Indeed, I heard Stupid and Fallen on a progressive radio station in July 2007 and loved them!
Imagine my surprise and delight when I discovered what had come before. Imagine my distress when I discovered she had played half a dozen times at venues so close I would have gladly crawled to.
Afterglow was my sweet initiation to the amazing Sarah Mclachlan. A year later now and I have feasted on all of Sarah that came before Afterglow. Sarah's music is at the very top of my list.

Anonymous said...

The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before the boss does.

 
Copyright © indieground